Sunday, December 18, 2011

Misty teaches me about Love


Welcome to the first official entry for my Heavens to Horses Blog!

While grooming my horse, Misty, for a ride on this gorgeous, balmy 60 degree Colorado winter day, I was thinking about what to write for this blog. If you have spent quality time with a horse, you may know what sort of "zen" state one can quietly enter while in a horse's presence. Before I knew it, I was in that state.

Misty is 22 years old now, and typical for a mare, can be aloof, curious, focused, or loving, pending her mood. (Know any humans like that?). She knows me very well. I would venture to say she knows me better than I know her. My guess is also that she listens to me more than I listen to her. ( A good lesson to be learned there.) I was actually pondering Love while brushing her thick, incredibly soft coat. That can be quite an involved topic; what is it, how different it feels depending on the recipient or giver, how it morphs on it's own without our awareness at times, and all the different ways in which we use the word, "love".

Suddenly, things became quiet. Misty had placed her head on my chest, resting her cheek directly next to my heart. Awareness of how hard my heart was pounding became audible. All I could hear was the thump-thump...thump-thump of my heart as it reverberated from my chest into her cheek. It was as if she was listening intently to the beat of my heart. Her eyes were closed, and our breathing became synchronized.
I was reminded of how that happens when two lovers are connected in a peaceful and full way.

Misty stood in that position for quite a while, minutes I suppose. I became totally present with her and was filled up with that feeling...what was it? Oh yes; Love.
She had chosen a very simple, sweet and powerful way to help her human understand just a little bit more about Love. There I was lost in thought about what Love was, and there she was providing the answer. My job was to accept her offering, breathe it in, and feel it by just being still, quiet, and aware. Not so complicated if we stop thinking and start feeling more.

It is rare for this mare to behave in the fashion she did today, and not rare for her to offer answers and guidance on a regular basis. If only I listened just a little bit more!
Hey, I think I will...I invite you to do the same.

Thank you for your visit.

3 comments:

  1. Marianne Williamson tells us “To be consciously aware of it, to experience love in ourselves and others, is the meaning of life.” Thank you for your beautiful reminder that we do this not by thinking about it, but by feeling it. --Jo Brilhart

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love is definitely one of the most simple and pure things in life as we embrace and accept it when it is given, as Misty showed you in one easy and sweet gesture. It is the peace and fullness that you speak of that love has the ability to provide for two hearts ever so simply when listening quietly. Awareness&.thinking less&. feeling more&.you will touch the souls of many who read this. How fortunate you and Misty are already knowing what heaven is right here on earth. Thank you for your kind invitation to not miss out on moments that are not visible to the eye but ever so present in the heart and soul. J.

    ReplyDelete